Seriously, where has the first half of the year gone? How can it be June already? In fact, where has the past year gone? I can’t believe that this time last year it was the first day of our month-long Californian road trip, it feels like yesterday. It also means that I am another year older – yep, during May I celebrated my 35th birthday (urgh!) and even though my age upsets me spending time with friends and family certainly did not. Also, as the weather has been nice we have also spent a lot of time enjoying our local area and vino in the garden and in between wading through a million and one GDPR emails and eating birthday cake, we had some amazing adventures and here’s what we got up to…….
Mr ESLT whisked me a way to Turin in Italy for my birthday this year for a long weekend and we had the best time. We drank wine, ate pasta, enjoyed the sunshine and explored the city on foot. Unfortunately, we did experience a couple of VERY heavy downpours but they only lasted for around 20 minutes each and then the sun came back out to play (yeah!) Having been to Italy a number of times now I must admit Turin is not as ‘pretty’ as some of it’s more famous neighbours but it is still a beautiful city and one that I am glad I have now visited.
Niro Caledonia, Edinburgh, Scotland
Isn’t May wonderful in England – two bank holiday Mondays!!! When you work full time it would be silly not to take advantage of the extra day off. Therefore we packed the car up and made the journey up to Edinburgh. We had the pleasure of staying at the Nira Caledonia which is one of the most beautiful and opulent hotels we have ever stayed in. With high ceilings and plush, luxurious furnishings, from the second we arrived until the moment we left we felt completely at home in this centrally located boutique hotel. Also, the breakfast was second to none and the perfect way to start the day. A great hotel for a romantic break. Review coming soon!
Hampton by Hilton, York, England
York is a beautiful city and one we love visiting. The added bonus is that it is just an hour up the road or on the train away from us, therefore we do visit quite regularly. We very rarely stay over, however, Hampton by Hilton gave us the opportunity. Having never stayed at a Hampton by Hilton property before we were very unsure about what to expect. But we had nothing to worry about. The room was large and had everything we needed for a comfortable night’s sleep. Also, the hotel is located right in the city centre, making it a great and reasonably priced choice. Review coming soon!
Hotel Gotham, Manchester, England
We were invited to try a 5-course taster menu paired with wine at the Honey Resturant located on the 6th floor of the impressive and very unique Gotham Hotel in Manchester. We were treated to course after course of delicious food which had been designed and put together by the new Head Chef Ross Chatburn. It was a great opportunity to try some dishes that we may never have picked off a menu. That being said everything was fantastic and just looking at the photos we took on the evening is making me hungry now! We then had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Gotham for the evening. Review to follow!
For the first two weeks of June we have nothing planned, however, it will be none stop from the 15th onwards (including a family wedding). Here’s what we have planned:
Every year we try to spend our wedding anniversary somewhere wonderful and this year we will be spending it in Oslo. Mr ESLT has only ever been to Norway once years ago and I have never been. Therefore we are both excited to explore Norway and see what it has to offer. We will be armed with Oslo Passes from Visit Oslo and booked on three trips around the city with Tripadvisor so I’m sure we will get to see a lot of it and fingers crossed the sun will be shining too! If you have any restaurant recommendations please send them our way.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Next up, and the day after the aforementioned family wedding (eek), I will be heading to The Hague in The Netherlands on my own (double eek). Visit Holland has invited me along to explore the city and the watch end of the world famous Volvo Ocean Race 2018. Unfortunately, Mr ESLT has to work that weekend and being a seaman by trade and by heart he is thoroughly disappointed he is going to miss it. Having never been to The Hague before I am also excited to discover more about the city itself.
Unfortunately, this month we have not really planned anything. However, with our main trip of the year – Montenegro, Croatia and Albania rapidly approaching at the beginning of July and a rail journey through Bavaria and Austria planned for September, the next month or so will be full of planning and being the uber planner I am – I really can’t wait!
Competitions, money-saving and cash back codes
- We are currently running a competition in conjunction with bNifty and we are offering one of our readers the opportunity to win a unicorn travel pillow, perfect for both the young and young at heart. Check out our post ‘Planning and Preparing for our Summer Holiday‘ which contains further details about how you can enter (Closing date 8th June 2018).
- We recently stayed at the Hampton by Hilton in York and had a really enjoyable stay and we are now offering you the chance to win a one night stay for yourself. All you have to do is hop on over to Instagram and let us know what Real Travel Moment (somewhere based on a necessity, obligation, commitment purpose – not a holiday) you have coming up this year and we will select a winner! (Closing date 22nd June 2018).
Money Saving Codes
- If you are heading somewhere and only travelling with hand luggage why not check out Travel Toiletries 2 Go and pick up your favourite toiletries in miniature, space-saving size. By using the code ESLT10, you can get 10% off your order.
- I recently road tested a pair of copper socks from Copper Clothing. I found them to be a great pair of compression socks which kept my feet fresh for the duration of wearing them. If you would like to try a pair or anything else from their website (apart from animal beds and blankets) use this code to get 15% off your order – ESLT15 (valid until 31st August 2018).
Cash Back Offers
- We use Booking.com more often than not when booking hotels, do you? If so use this link https://www.booking.com/s/eatsle02 you will then get £15 back on the card you used for the booking when you have stayed at the hotel. We will also get £15 for referring you.
Travel Blogger Interviews
This month we featured interviews with the following fantastic travel bloggers:
We are always on the lookout for Travel Bloggers who would like to take part in our Travel Interview or Hometown Tour Guide Series, if you fit the bill and would like to feature please drop us a line – email@example.com
Until next month……..safe travels 🙂