This week’s guest post comes from Ben Goes Places. He explains ‘A couple of years ago it hit me: life is short and you got to enjoy it. One thing that gives me great pleasure, is the beauty and diversity of various destinations. I have a job like anyone else, but try to travel as much as possible, whether it is with my girlfriend, family, friends or solo. Since I love telling about the places I visited, I hope to share my travel tips & tricks with you! But hey, don’t forget the beauty of home. Belgium is a beautiful country and is often overlooked. For visitors who are not from around, maybe my site might help to persuade you to pay this hidden treasure a visit!’
1.What is your name and where do you come from?
My name is Ben Deleu and I live in Belgium, not far from lovely Bruges!
2. What sort of traveller are you? Full time / part time / business / backpacker etc?
Currently I’m still a part time traveller. During the week I’m working for the Belgian Federal Government, but telecommuting is allowed which gives me great flexibility. I can even work while traveling.
3. How do you fund your travelling?
Each month I set a small portion of my salary aside for traveling. I also make money trading stocks. Doing that I’m lucky enough to go on holiday +10 times a year while still using my salary to save up for a house. I’ve increasingly been getting opportunities from hotels or travel companies, which is a great extra.
4. Where is the best place you have ever been and why?
Sweden! My girlfriend has lived in Sweden for a year, so I drove all the way from Belgium to pick her up. Once there, we started our journey north. In Sweden, you can drive through the woods for hours without coming across another vehicle! We both lost our heart there and it’s a great place to explore nature and get away from daily life. We even stayed in a luxury treehouse.
5. Where is the worst place you have ever been and why?
In Norway, we tried Airbnb. Although we’ve met some lovely people and had the opportunity to stay in unique places like a farm, we’ve also had 1 unpleasant experience. What seemed to be a great place on the Airbnb website, turned out to be a construction site in the middle of nowhere with none of the rooms finished. We never saw the house owner but his mom lived there and she looked as if she was coming straight out of a sect!
6. Do you have a Bucket List? If so where are the 3 top places on it?
Can I pick more than three? Let’s see… Canada is definitely on my list, I’m thinking of going next year but I cannot decide between East or West. I’d love to see Iran as well but I think I’ll opt for a guided tour there. I hope one day I’m able to afford a Transpacific cruise. Once I’m able to tick that off my bucket list, I can die peacefully.
7. What 3 things (apart from the essentials – food/water etc) do you always travel with?
- Sunscreen, no matter where I go. I sunburn easily and trust me, I learned my lesson the hard way.
- Extra clothing in my hand luggage, in case my bags are lost (also learned this the hard way)
- Since I’ve had heart surgery, I’m always keeping a letter which contains some medical info about me. Luckily there hasn’t been a need for it but you never know, right?
8. What makes you happy and why?
Seeing my girlfriend smile, she means the world to me. Last month, I asked her to marry me and she said yes!
9. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I’ve always loved to travel so I started out last year posting some pics of my holidays on Instagram. It really took off so I decided to set up a blog and Twitter account a few months back, hoping to share my experiences and give some tips on how to save money. So far it’s been going great. I just love getting in touch with new people. Fellow bloggers inspire me everyday.
10. What makes your blog unique and why should people read it?
I’m 26 years old and cater towards luxury travel experiences. My blog tries to prove that young people can travel in luxury, without having to spend a lot of money. Whether it’s doing a city trip or a road trip, or going on a cruise, I love to think out of the box and try out different travel styles. My aim is to encourage people to do the same to see what works best for them.
From ESLT – thank you Ben for taking the time to answer our questions. Safe Travels : )