This week’s guest post comes from Eboni, blogger behind Eboni + Ivory. She explains ‘Since graduating, I have worked in Ukraine, Italy & California teaching and directing drama as a way of travelling and being creative. I had lots of adventures in 2015 and I will no doubt be doing a post about all the antics. I ended 2015 and welcomed 2016 with a role in a huge London Pantomime, Cinderella at the Lyric Hammersmith! I was singing & dancing in lots of the scenes as a member of the ensemble. I had the best time being part of a 5 star show and met some amazing people. Which brings me to today….. At the mo, I am working as an actor, with my agent sending me for auditions now and again, working at The Young Vic and creating videos for my music and spoken word!
1 . What is your name and where do you come from?
Hey! My name is Eboni and I am from London, England.
2. What sort of traveller are you? Full time / part time / business / backpacker etc?
Hmm, I would say I am a hybrid of part time and business traveller. I travel a little with work but I also like to take short trips away myself.
3. How do you fund your travelling?
So in 2015, I spent the year travelling for work- I spent time in Ukraine, Italy and California and the work I did funded the travelling. I also spent a month in Italy again this year working which also funded the travel!
In 2013 I spent 3 months in Barcelona during my second year at drama school which was funded by the ERASMUS programme!
I was in Amsterdam this January for my birthday, which was a self-funded trip. I do like to try and get some blogging work whilst I am away though!
4. Where is the best place you have ever been and why?
This question is so difficult! I have had some amazing experiences that are great for their own reasons and completely incomparable. Here’s my top 2:
- Barcelona 2013- Not only is this city magnificent in general, but it was my first ever experience living abroad. I moved to Barcelona for 3 months to live and study theatre. I had to navigate my way around the city aged just 21 and I think I did an awesome job! I soaked in all the sites and found lots to see and do. I had some visits from friends and family along the way and it was my job to show them around! I haven’t been back since, but I would love to!
- Lago Maggiore 2015- This Italian Lake took my breath away. Italy is full to the brim with beautiful cities and countryside’s, but Lago Maggiore (just north of Milan) is really one of the best! I spent the day alone just wondering around and taking in the views. First of all, I grabbed a kebab to eat by the lake, which was the best kebab I have ever eaten! I then climbed to the top of the lakeside mountain in a tiny, rickety cable car. The views as I assented and then finally at the top were breath-taking! It was also personally satisfying being in a different country, alone but so content and happy to be in my own company.
5. Where is the worst place you have ever been and why?
This question is easy to answer- Naples.
I literally just got back from Naples a few weeks ago. It was the city we flew back to London from. Luckily we weren’t actually staying in Naples but we did have to pass through for a few hours before our flight. We thought it would be great to take a walk around to pass some time. Much to our surprise, this city is just awful. It is crowded, dirty and full of street sellers and scam artists. Lot’s of people warned us about keeping our handbags safe as Naples is well known for pickpockets. Luckily nothing of ours was stolen, however we must have stuck out as tourists because we were constantly being hassled by the local men. I couldn’t get out of that place quick enough!
6. Do you have a Bucket List? If so where are the 3 top places on it?
My travel bucket list is pretty extensive. I would say for now, I would love to see New York, the Caribbean and one of the paradise destinations- Maldives/Bali/Bora Bora/Fiji/Thailand (-you know, those beautiful places you always see on tumblr and pinterest!)
7. What 3 things (apart from the essentials – food/water etc) do you always travel with?
- I always travel with a camera. Either my phone or a DSLR. I love capturing my adventures and all the beautiful places I see. I like to make YouTube videos of the places too.
- I did forget this last time I travelled, but I usually always travel with battery-powered fairy lights to decorate wherever I am sleeping (I have them everywhere a home). Not only are they super pretty and comforting for my sleeping space, but they can be handy if you are sharing your sleeping space and need a little light at night time, they are not too intrusive and annoying and spread a wide pool of light rather than a spotlight! (That’s really detailed sorry haha)
- Hmm, I’d have to say my facial essentials from my go-to cleansing products, to my make up kit!
8. What makes you happy and why?
I think when I feel as though I have support, kindness and love surrounding me, I feel the most comforted and peaceful-which to me, is happiness.
I can be in a room full of people but still feel lonely or alone in another country but still feel loved and supported. My happiness and what makes me happy is constantly changing- especially now I am 25 and so unsure about everything! So for now, I find happiness in change and little pleasures-like travelling.
9. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I have been blogging since February 2016, so just over a year now.
I started blogging as a way to keep creative between acting jobs. I found writing kept me motivated and I enjoyed building this little world I could turn to when I needed to escape the uncertainty of my career.
I was inspired by YouTubers like Zoella and interesting Instagram accounts. When I looked further into it, I thought “if they can do it, why can’t I?”
10. What makes your blog unique and why should people read it?
My blog is an extension of me; basically if I was a blog EBONI + IVORY is what you would get and I think I am pretty unique!
I write about my interesting travel experiences all over the world, my likes and dislikes, my favourite things to see and do. Plus my top fashion tips when shopping on a budget- how to achieve great style for less.
From ESLT – thank you Eboni for taking the time to answer our questions. Safe Travels 🙂