This week’s guest post comes from Kate, travel blogger behind Kate Loves Travel. She explains ‘My name is Katherine and I’m a forty-something mum of one with a lifelong passion for travel and languages (I teach Spanish and translate from Spanish into English when I’m not travelling or blogging!). More often than not I travelled solo in my younger days (pre-child!) but now I generally travel as a two or three (or sometimes more)… All of you who have travelled with kids will know that it’s a different experience to travelling alone or with other adults and that is one of the reasons I decided to write my blog. That said, not all my posts are about travel with children – I do occasionally get to travel alone or with Matt, my other half!’
1. What is your name and where do you come from?
My name is Kate and my blog is Kate Loves Travel. I am originally from Sheffield but now live in Market Harborough, Leicestershire (UK).
2. What sort of traveller are you? Full time / part time / business / backpacker etc?
I’m a part-time traveller nowadays, unfortunately (family commitments)! But when my daughter is older I plan on taking some MUCH longer trips! Whether I’ll get my backpack out again, I’m not sure!
3. How do you fund your travelling?
I work part-time as a Spanish tutor and Spanish to English translator (I have a degree in Hispanic Studies) as well as writing travel articles.
4. Where is the best place you have ever been and why?
Probably Mexico… I love it! There is so much to see and do and it’s such a diverse country… from the incredible Copper Canyon Railway in the north to the stunning ruins of Palenque in the south to the beautiful beaches on both coasts. Not to mention the great food (providing you like chilli of course!) and the incredibly friendly people.
5. Where is the worst place you have ever been and why?
That’s a difficult one… To be honest, I’ve never been anywhere I have really not liked. In my experience, everywhere has good bits and bad bits. Although I’ve had some scary experiences whilst travelling, they were not enough to really make me dislike anywhere I’ve been.
6. Do you have a Bucket List? If so where are the 3 top places on it?
I do have a bucket list and the top three places are:
- Iceland – the scenery just looks so amazing… I’m planning to visit next year.
- Patagonia – the ruggedness and remoteness of Patagonia really appeals to me. It’s somewhere that’s been on my bucket list for a long time…
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia – probably the most famous – and spectacular – ruins on the planet.
7. What 3 things (apart from the essentials – food/water etc) do you always travel with?
- My camera – I love taking photos. Although I find it difficult to limit myself to taking only one camera!
- Notebook & pens – I’m always scribbling down ideas.
- A guidebook – I always carry a guidebook as I hate to miss anything!
8. What makes you happy and why?
Travelling with my family. I love the excitement and the opportunities that travel brings and sharing them with those closest to me makes me very happy!
9. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I have only been blogging since April 2017. My reason for starting was that I had thousands of photos and many notebooks/guidebooks full of scribbles and it seemed a shame to do nothing with them! It was a sudden decision to start, I didn’t really plan it. It popped into my head and within a few hours I’d come up with a name, bought the domain and hosting and I was up and running!
10. What makes your blog unique and why should people read it?
I guess what makes my blog unique is that I am an experienced traveller… I have been travelling now for many years, which means I can post on a variety of destinations and travel-related topics, which I hope are of interest (and use!) to others when planning their own trips… Travel is my passion and I hope that comes through in my blog and inspires others to seek out their own adventures!
From ESLT – thank you, Kate, for taking the time to answer our questions. Safe Travels 🙂
You can also find Kate Loves Travel on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest