Read To Relax On Holiday: What’s On Your Reading List?

Read To Relax On Holiday: What’s On Your Reading List?

As someone who blogs about travel, 9 times out of 10 my adventures involve exploring until it feels like my feet are going to fall of. When travelling I have this thing inside of me that yells you have to see as much as you can – NO slacking! I mean no one would want to read how I visited somewhere and didn’t see anything. However, sometimes everyone needs to take their foot of the gas and chill out, yes even me. Once our American road trip next month is over, that’s when the search for last-minute cheap holidays will commence. After a month of non stop exploring and adventure I’ll be in need of a week on the beach doing NOTHING, well almost nothing.

I love reading and whilst on a beach holidays you will always find me with my nose in a book, well my kindle, but you get the idea. This is because it is the only time I actually get to read, I mean properly read – I can start a book, get engrossed in it and actually finish it within a day or so. If I try to read at home life gets in the way and by the time I start reading the story again, I have forgotten what has already happened, meaning I have to start again. Therefore, I just don’t bother anymore.

Do you enjoy reading on holiday? Do you have a Kindle (or other e-reader) or do you prefer a good old-fashioned paperback book? I must admit I love a good book and the feeling you get when you crack the spine of a brand new one. And because of my love of books, I was late to the party when it came to investing in a Kindle. However, I am very pleased that I did, but obviously there are pros and cons to both:

infographic Ebooks V Books

You may think that as someone who travels a lot on my list of books to read would be at least one about travel or travel related – nope! Well apart from Alex Garland’s The Beach – I could read that a bizillon times and never get bored with it. When I read a book I love the sense of escapism. Whether it be a rom com, a thriller or even Shakespeare, it has to allow me to be completely engrossed in the story. As I don’t get the opportunity to read that often my current reading list is ridiculously long, yet I have whittled it down to only 5.

Top 5 book to read – Summer 2017:

1 & 2. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – Parts One and Two (by John Tiffany (Adaptation), Jack Thorne, J.K. Rowling)

3. Hollywood Dirt (by Alessandra Torre)

4. Before I Fall (by Lauren Oliver)

5. The Mountain Between Us (by Charles Martin)

What’s at the top of you reading list for summer 2017? Or what’s your favourite book of all time? Let us know in the comments section below and enter our competition to win a £25 Amazon voucher to spend on ebooks or actual books (or whatever you like 🙂 )

*CLICK HERE TO ENTER*

Closing Date : Midnight 8th June 2017

Terms and conditions

1. The promotion is open to UK Residents ONLY aged 18 or over
2. To enter, simply enter via link in post – Rafflecopter
3. No purchase necessary, however internet access is required.
4. The Prize: 1 x £25 Amazon Gift Voucher
5. By entering the promotion entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these terms & conditions and by the decisions of the Promoter, which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the prize. No correspondence will be entered into.

Advertisements
Sharing is caring:

24 Comments

1. May 19, 2017 / 9:35 am

Travel and reading, my two fave activities ! Put the two together and it’s heaven !! We probably pack more books than clothes when we travel !! Have a few reading faves, love the Conrad books set in Southeast Asia and travel books by Gavin Young (Slow Boats to China). Some old books from the 50s which might interest Mr ESLT: Eight Bells and Top Masts by Christopher Lee (no, not that C. Lee !) and Harbous, Girls and a Slumbering World by James Page-Roberts – both factual accounts of their travels in a more hopeful period. The Roads to Sata by Alan Booth is an account of his walk through Japan. Then of course there’s the greatest living Yorkshireman Alan Bennet, anything by him will do nicely – happy readings !

2. I’m still debating whether to go for a Kindle or not…I just love having an actual book to read, and when the cost is usually the same for the e-book and the real book I can’t help but opt for the paperback. I’ll have to invest eventually though, there’s no way I can lug more than one book around in my backpack!

3. Hannah Rhiannon Hill
    May 19, 2017 / 1:23 pm

All time favourite book has to be Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas, it’s just beautiful

4. Lindsay
    May 19, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I have a kindle but I also buy a lot of actual books too. Wouldn’t be without either!

5. May 19, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Oh we love to catch up on our Nat Geo reading when we have the opportunity. It makes for a good companion while on the journey and when we get to our destination!

6. David Williams
    May 19, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Any advanced+ book on bridge play – especially quiz ones by Hugh Kelsey.

7. Angela Ellis
    May 19, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Real Books every time. My favourite book has to be the Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Bought it on a whim for a holiday and it made me fall in love with reading.

8. May 20, 2017 / 7:58 pm

I’m yet to invest in a Kindle but strongly considering it as I’m travelling more and more and dedicate far too much of my suitcase to books! On my list to read this summer is The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, One Small Act of Kindness by Lucy Dillon and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte – all books I’ve been meaning to read for a while so hoping to get round to it!

9. claire woods
    May 21, 2017 / 12:21 pm

The Friend by Dorothy Koomson, out 1st June. I can’t wait to read it. I have read all of her books so far.

10. May 23, 2017 / 9:01 am

I really want to read Into the Water which is the new book by Paula Hawkins, who wrote the Girl on the Train.

I actualky downloaded it first my recent trip to Croatia, then forgot to load it to my e-reader!

11. May 23, 2017 / 9:14 am

I always like to read The World According to Clarkson series 🙂

12. Michael Rattray
    May 23, 2017 / 11:16 pm

Lies – TM Logan

13. June 6, 2017 / 2:53 pm

I am hoping to read The Handmaid’s Tale 😊

14. Elizabeth Smith
    June 6, 2017 / 3:50 pm

Currently I’m favouring Diane Chamberlain novels, she writes in a similar vein to Jodi Picoult

15. Claire Holtey
    June 6, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Terry Pratchett The Colour of Magic – my favourite books are all in hardback, everyday reading on Kindle

16. Anthea Holloway
    June 6, 2017 / 6:25 pm

I loved reading The Girl on the Train.

17. Victoria Prince
    June 7, 2017 / 9:00 am

The Shepherd’s Crown from the Discworld series – not managed to read it yet!

18. Michelle Bruce
    June 7, 2017 / 3:56 pm

My favourite book of all time is Perfume by Patrick Suskind.

19. Michelle Wild
    June 8, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Anything by Dickens or Wilde.

20. Angela Macdonald
    June 8, 2017 / 8:09 pm

I love a mixture of kindle and paper books, my favourite book of all time was Farewell to France by Noel Barber x

21. jo liddement
    June 8, 2017 / 8:18 pm

I mainly read using a kindle and have recently read a fantastic book called Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine which at times had me laughing out loud and i think my husband thought i had gone mad.

22. Judy Beba-Brown
    June 8, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Absolute favourites are Jane Austen’s Persuasion and JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.