Top 10 Travel Destinations Over The Last 10 Years

Top 10 Travel Destinations Over The Last 10 Years

10 years ago to the day, our eyes met across a crowded bar and from that second we have almost been inseparable. Yes, 10 years ago to the day Mr ESLT and I met. If you are old enough to remember the dating game a decade ago, you’ll remember internet dating was considered only for ‘weirdos’ and if you wanted to meet someone you actually had to get out of the house and speak to people. And lucky for us, we both decided to go out on the same evening and to the same pub and the rest as they say, is history.

It’s always a good start when you have at least one thing in common with your partner, for us it’s our hatred of olives, being able to watch full boxsets without moving a muscle and of course our love of travel. Over the past 10 years we have travelled to at least 40 countries together, some on numerous occasions. As we hit the decade mark it got me thinking about the places we have loved visiting and whittling them down to a Top 10 – it was a tough job! However, after hours of deliberation and many rewrites, here it is:-

1. Florence, Italy (2007 and 2012)

We first visited Florence three weeks after we first met. We jumped on a plane and fell in love with this fantastic city and of course each other. So much so, we obviously chose it as the destination to celebrate our first wedding anniversary 5 years later.

Florence, Italy

2. Venice, Italy (2010)

Every year Mr ESLT whisks me off somewhere magical for my birthday and my 27th was no exception. In 2010 we headed to Venice to celebrate not only my birthday but also our engagement as he got down on one knee on our first night in the city.

Venice, Italy

3. Koh Samui, Thailand (2011)

Deciding on a honeymoon destination is often one of the hardest when it comes to travelling as you want it to be special. Koh Samui in Thailand could not have been more special for us – the food, the people, the beaches and not forgetting the amazing scenery.

Bophut Beach, Koh Samui

4. Las Vegas, USA (2011/2012)

What’s better than a trip to Las Vegas? A trip to Las Vegas for New Year! It is the ONLY place to go wild as we bid farewell to 2011 and said hello to 2012 at Surrender in the Encore. We danced, we drank, we welcomed the new year in with a bang – amazing!

Welcome to Las Vegas sign

5. Aluthgama, Sri Lanka (2013)

Sri Lanka caught us a bit off guard, we expected beautiful scenery and relaxing times but this place blew us away. We spent 13 fantastic days soaking up the culture, eating the food and exploring what this small, yet perfectly formed island had to offer and believe me there is lots!

Sri Lanka

6. Cairo/Giza, Egypt (2008)

As both of us had an interest in Egyptian history, there was only one place to go and that was of course Egypt. We spent time in Luxor and Cairo, with Cairo being our favourite. With so much history and mystique surrounding it, we loved seeing and experiencing it for ourselves.

Pyramids in Giza, Egypt

7. Paris, France (2013)

Another birthday trip saw us head to Paris. Having never been before we strapped on our walking shoes and explored until we had blisters on our blisters. The City of Romance certainly found a way into our hearts. Topped off with a day at Disneyland Paris, it was the perfect 30th.

Louvre Pyramid, Paris

Louvre Pyramid, Paris

8. The Great Ocean Road, Australia (2014)

Travelling The Great Ocean Road in a 1970s camper van had been at the top of my Bucket List since I could remember and when I found out it was on Mr ESLT’s as well it was something we had to do. It was one of, if not the best experience of my life, especially seeing Kangaroos and Koalas for the first time.

Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch, Australia

Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch, Australia

9. Iceland (2016)

Having just got back from Iceland I can categorically state it is AMAZING. Everything great you hear about this island is true. We spent a week exploring the south of the island, which was in no way near enough time. Therefore, we are already planning our return journey in 2018.

Vik, Iceland

10. Riga, Latvia (2008)

An odd one to add you may think? Possibly, but we loved our time in Riga. It is a beautiful city and when it snows, it snows. Walking the streets in a snow storm with flakes as big as my hand truly made me feel like I was in my very own snow globe.

Riga, Latvia

There were so many other places that narrowly missed my Top 10 including: New York, Bali, Mauritius, Berlin, Dublin, Ljubljana etc.

Do you have a Top 10 of places you have been? We’d love to read it.

Advertisements
Sharing is caring:

17 Comments

1. December 22, 2016 / 3:03 pm

So happy about Iceland being on that list of course! And Riga – yes, it was surprise! I really want to go, so glad it has your seal of approval!

• December 23, 2016 / 12:16 pm

Iceland had to be on there, it’s AMAZING 🙂 Loved Riga, I’d love to go back in the summer but don’t know if it would spoil our great memories of snowy winter fun. I’d love to visit Estonia and Lithuania too – they are both on the list of places to visit soon.

2. December 22, 2016 / 4:24 pm

Iceland FTW. Actually, I would put it above my #1 Budapest if it was only more affordable after you get there.

• December 23, 2016 / 12:17 pm

I know, right? £10 a pint of beer V £1.50 in Budapest!

3. Anisa
    December 22, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Vicky – You are not going to believe this but I celebrate New Yer’s Eve 2011 at the Encore too! How random! Great list, I still need to go to Iceland and I am adding Latvia to my list.

• December 22, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Seriously?! What!!!! With Will.I.Am DJing? Such a small world 🌎

• Anisa
        December 22, 2016 / 5:08 pm

Yes!! Some friends of mine from Australia wanted to go there so I met up with them. I am going to have to dig up the pictures and see if I can spot you in any of them!

4. December 23, 2016 / 7:28 am

As usual amazing pictures!

• December 23, 2016 / 12:14 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment Ester! Have a great Christmas 🙂

• December 23, 2016 / 12:24 pm

• December 27, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Thank you for your very kind comment Ester 🙂

5. December 23, 2016 / 10:33 am

Great list! We too loved Riga and I agree about Iceland, Egypt, Paris, Sri Lanka…

Trying to choose just ten favourite trips for from the last ten years is really hard as you say, but here are mine, in no particular order:

Tanzania 2016 – although it was out fourth safari to Tanzania, this one was extra special not just because of the spectacular animal sightings and amazing accommodation; but because we shared it with some very good friends.

Ladakh (India) in 2013 – amazing scenery and some challenging road trips.

Laos 2012 – a lovely laid back and fairly untouristy country.

Harbin Ice Festival, China 2014 – Despite the temperature dropping to -26°C, we had an amazing time seeing and photographing the ice sculptures.

Florida 2013 – a fun trip with a group of friends, seeing all the wildlife Florida and Everglades has to offer, including swimming with the manatees!

Lake Turkana (Kenya) 2015 – an adventurous overland journey to a little visited part of the country. In fact we didn’t see any other tourists from the time we left Samburu National Park until the time we arrived back in Nairobi a week later.

Seeing the Northern Lights in Tromsø, Norway.

Nicaragua surprised us, in a good way. Not many tourists, lots of wildlife and some adventurous journeys.

Swedish Lapland – although I hated sleeping in the Ice Hotel, I loved seeing it, and all the activities on offer in the area, such as skiing, snow shoeing, dog sledding, skiddoing….

Burkina Faso – another fairly adventurous trip, camping wild and stopping at random villages to take a look around, it was a photographer’s delight.

Here’s looking forward to the next ten years of travel. I hope you and ESLT have a fabulous Christmas. xx

6. Angela Michelle Thibert
    December 26, 2016 / 5:57 pm

I’ve noticed hype around new countries, and ones going under the radar. Las Vegas, Paris, and Egypt were the top of my list but it’s always changing with new places and not as popular destinations.

7. December 28, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Iceland! I’d love to visit Iceland in the winter to see the northern lights!

• January 3, 2017 / 12:10 pm

We loved Iceland. We were very lucky to see them the first night we were there. They danced a little for us for around 5 minutes and disappeared again. It was the only time we saw them. Hope you make it to Iceland one winter soon and get to experience them for yourself 🙂

8. February 4, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Great post! I was surprised to see Riga on it, only because my brother went there among his world travels and I never heard anything about it. I think he immediately hated it because as soon as he arrived, our grandfather passed away, and the internet there was too spotty to Skype home. All he could do was send an email. He left soon after and I never heard him speak of it. Now I’m sad! What a beautiful place he couldn’t enjoy. 🙁 Perhaps he and I can go there together someday and make happier memories of Riga!