This week’s guest post comes from Lesley, travel blogger behind Everyday Bucket List. She explains ‘I’m an Aussie Expat living in Amsterdam after spending 3 years living in London as an expat. London was a great base for my European travels, and so is Amsterdam – however I didn’t move to Amsterdam for the possibility of cheap flights. My new life in Amsterdam pairs my love of travel with my love of adventure, planting myself in a foreign land where I do not (yet) speak the native language of Dutch – all for my Dutch boyfriend (aka ‘the Hunk’). The Hunk and I met while staying at a hostel in Marrakech, Morocco. Hunk looked up and said “Hi, my name is *Hunk*” and as he has a very Dutch name I had no idea what he had said and carried on as if I had completely understood. After our first date in Morocco, it was a game of long-distance for 1.5 years between London and Amsterdam before this gal grew the balls to start her life again in another city!’
1. What is your name and where do you come from?
My name is Lesley and I’m from Melbourne, Australia! I now live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (after living in London, UK for 3 years)!
2. What sort of traveller are you? Full time / part time / business / backpacker etc?
I’m a part-time traveller, working 9-5 during the week and try to take as many weekend trips abroad as possible, with a few longer trips throughout the year too!
3. How do you fund your travelling?
I fund my travel escapades from my day-job earnings, though I’d love to be able to say one day that I earn money with my successful travel blog! Here’s hoping! Travelling can be expensive, so I am always checking out flight deals and working out ways to go to the places I want to go to for as cheap as possible!
When I am abroad, I like to enjoy myself by going out to eat, or participating in fun activities – so saving on flights and accommodation is how I’m able to not only go on many trips, but also do exactly what I want to do whilst there without missing out!
4. Where is the best place you have ever been and why?
Gosh there are so many amazing places! Though I have 2 places that I fell in love with big time – Iceland and Morocco. Both places have scenery you just can’t beat – Iceland really blew me away with the landscape, from the waterfalls to the black sand, the glaciers and geysers and of course – the blue lagoon. Whereas Morocco is the polar opposite – with heat, the Sahara Desert, camels and tagines – all 5 senses were on overload! I also met my boyfriend and travel partner in Morocco so it’s got a pretty special place in my heart!
5. Where is the worst place you have ever been and why?
I can’t say I have a ‘worst’ place, however there are some places I haven’t connected with. Vienna in Austria is one of those places. It’s quite a lovely place – grand buildings, extremely clean etc, but for me I just didn’t get that love I was hoping for. I much preferred Salzburg which I visited after Vienna whilst in Austria. Now Salzburg – that’s a winner!
6. Do you have a Bucket List? If so where are the 3 top places on it?
As the Everywhere Bucket List, you can bet your bottom dollar I have one! The list is endless! My top 3 places would have to be…
- Galapagos Islands
7. What 3 things (apart from the essentials – food/water etc) do you always travel with?
- I always, always travel with my portable phone charger! Being that my iPhone doubles as my camera, map and social media posting tool, it sometimes doesn’t make it through the day! Which, as a GenY-er, is a complete disaster!
- Shoe insoles. Yes – I know how cool that sounds! But seriously, when travelling I dislike getting sore feet from all of the walking! So I always make sure I have my trusty insoles with me which I can put in almost any pair of shoes.
- Growers Cup Coffee Bags! – I discovered these 2 years ago at the London Coffee Festival and they’ve been a great addition to my days abroad! I enjoy a cup of coffee in the mornings and sometimes it’s just not possible where I’m staying – for instance when glamping in the winderness (Glamping in Skye)
8. What makes you happy and why?
TRAVEL! I am an absolute geek when it comes to finding flight deals, reading travel blogs and coming up with itineraries for future destinations. When I travel, I love to get the most out of my time at a destination. So, I always earmark places, things to do, and foodie hotspots to check out in each location with Google Maps stars & lists.
9. How long have you been blogging and why did you start?
I, like a lot of bloggers, started blogging to keep my family and friends informed of my travels whilst I was living abroad. But, it’s turned into this big passion of mine that I spend a lot of time on! I really enjoy spreading my love for travel with others.
10. What makes your blog unique and why should people read it?
The uniqueness of my blog is the dual facets of being an Australian living in Amsterdam with a Dutch partner, trying to adjust and fit into a culture quite different from what I grew up in; and also – the travels I take with my boyfriend around Europe! We enjoy exploring places that offer some kind of adventure aspect and try to see/do the well-known sights/areas, as well as getting off the beaten track!
From ESLT – thank you Lesley for taking the time to answer our questions. Safe Travels 🙂